Sök på innehåll hos Allt för föraldrar

Moving to England. Please help!

Skrivet av Axels och Mathildas mamma
We are a family living in Stockholm and my husband has been offered a job in Nottingham, England for 3 years. Our daughter will be 5 and our son will be 1,5 when we arrive. If anyone has been in the same situation, please tell me how you did it. Did you both work or were you at home with the children? Is it possible to have the children in day-care (dagis)? Please tell me EVERYTHING about moving abroad with small children!!!
Svar på tråden: Moving to England. Please help!

congratulations

Skrivet av  Maria, UK
There is no need to sound quite so worried!
School starts in september of the year in which your child will turn five. Also, the break of point is 31 August-1 September. (Not 1 Jan as in Swe) This means that the oldest children in any school year will be children born in September (not January!) If your daughter will be five after 31 august this year she will start reception this september. If she will be five before that date she should accoridning to the UK system alreday have strated last September. I don't know how it works in N-ham, but around here (Richmond-upon-Thames) they do half days for the first term and full days from January.
(I probably make it sound mor comlicated than it is...)
Yes there are nurseries, usually from the age of 2 1/2 - 3 and in most cases for mornings only. "Swedish style dagis" do exist, but are few and far between as most working mums seem to have nannies och childminders (dagmamma).
I my experience most expat mums don't work. But that's obviously up to you!
Look in to "utlandsforaldrar" - thats where you will ge all your specific questions answered (in Swe) and maybe some useful contacts up north.
Welcome!

Thank you!

Skrivet av  A&Ms mamma
I will look into "utlandsföräldrar" immediatelly!

Artiklar från Familjeliv