Sök på innehåll hos Allt för föraldrar

English speaking childcare in Göteborg?

Skrivet av Lee
Does anyone in here know of, or have experience of, English speaking daycare in the Göteborg area?

We are thinking of relocating to Sweden, and our children will probably be around 4 and 1 respectively at that time. Our one-year-old daughter could possibly attend Swedish speaking daycare, but our 4-year-old son may have a hard time. (Currently, at age 3, he understands fragments of Swedish but doesn\'t speak any at all.)

And if we decided to go for Swedish speaking childcare for both (or couldn\'t find anything English!), does anyone know what provision there might be for children who arrive with little or no knowledge of Swedish? I am particularly interested in the Föräldrakooperativ format, and as I do speak Swedish myself I believe I could take on the role as a parent, but am not sure how they would cope with my son?
Svar på tråden: English speaking childcare in Göteborg?

I know...

Skrivet av  Majsann
There\'s an international preschool in the centre of Gothenburg (at Guldhedsgatan.) Phonenumber +46 413335.
Good luck! :)

ABC preschool

Skrivet av  Carina
Hi!
I know of a preschool called ABC preschool. I do not have the phonenumber, but it shouldn´t be hard to find it in the phonebook. Friends of ours have got a four year old boy and a two year old girl there and they are very happy with ABC. I know they have a long que, but it´s allways worth a try.
Good luck and welcome to Göteborg!

I would not believe it a problem

Skrivet av  Phaedra
...to find a day care with some English speaking nurses. English is, luckily for you guys, the most weel known language besides Swedish, so although you might have to put your 4-yr old in a traditional Swedish day care, he\'ll be well taken care of. I am sure of that! :) Just make sure there is at least one who doesn\'t mind speaking English, to help him out the first couple of months!

How do you think other immigrants cope with day care?

If you\'re conserned about your son losing his English, I would suggest that you look around for schools/ day cares with more of an international profile. For instance, some Christian school in Göteborg has severeal children from families from the US, English speaking parts of Africa or England. That\'s my experience.

Good luck!

oops...

Skrivet av  Phaedra
...sorry for my misspellings... it\'s getting late over here...

sleep tight! :)

Thanks a bunch to all of you!

Skrivet av  Lee
I will follow up these leads asap, as I get the impression there will be waiting lists for most childcare in the area including the Swedish speaking options.

To Phaedra: I\'m not overly concerned about my son losing his English, as this is the language we exclusively use at home. In fact, it might be a greater worry if he is able to get by using ONLY English both at home and at nursery school, as this might mean he has trouble integrating into Swedish society. Considering what you have said here, it may well be a better idea to choose a Swedish speaking nursery with the ability to accommodate a non-native speaker. (Of which there must be plenty in Sweden, good point)

Many thanks again to all three of you!

you are welcome

Skrivet av  Phaedra
..and good luck!

Hope you will enjoy Sweden, we are considering moving back. Not because Sweden is not good enough or anything, rather because of work opportunities.

I am sure your kids will be doing good. A friend of mine moved back to Sweden with a 9-year-old and a 5-year-old and they are both perfectly assimilated into Swedish society. Kids make friends so fast!

Again, best wishes to you and your family!

Artiklar från Familjeliv