Sök på innehåll hos Allt för föraldrar

I´m just currious...

Skrivet av "Is this good?"
I´m swedish and my husband also. We want to give our child two languages. We are trying to speak english with him, while we are eating and when I´m on my own with him. Can this be a good way? He usually responds to both english and swedish.
Svar på tråden: I´m just currious...

What we did

Skrivet av  Maria
My husband is amerikan and Im swedish. I lived in US for 10 years and we have 2 children. One was born in the states and one in Sweden.Since my boy is born in US I spoke swedish with him from the start so he would get that,and my husband spoke english.When we came yo Sweden and our daughter was born I have been speaking only english with her and since my husband needs to learn swedish he speaks swedish. It was a little confusing in the beginning for my son who was used to her him speak english,but he soon adapted and he is now both english speaking and swedish speaking.
My advice is to you to speak english with your children as long as you live in Sweden. The kids adapt very fast and the will get there swedish everywere else.
Good luck!!

Good English!

Skrivet av  Skåne-Jennie
Do you and your husband speak good English? ´Cause I personally believes that it is important that the person who tryes to teach a child a foreign language controlls that language. Otherwise it cuold be difficult for that child when he or she grows up and beginns to study english in school, if he learned something wrong from the very beginning.
But if the both of you controlls English well, I think that your som will have a significant advantage in life because of the fact that he controlls the international language that English is.
Can you tell us more about WHEN you usually speaks English with him? And how old is he?

My...

Skrivet av  Mam
english, I supose is ok, and my husbands isn´t. Therefor I´m speaking english with my son when we are on our own, reading farytails to him an so on. Sometimes I speak english even when Ingemar is with us, but probably we are going to let english become our "secret" language...
Our son is almost 18 month and is responding to both of the languages.

some english

Skrivet av  ma-mia
Hi
We are a swedish family and we have two children aged six and nine. I started to talk some english with them some years ago. Just some useful phrase´s like what´s your name? My name is...Those phrase´s is great because if they meet someone from another country they can play together. Children use their bodylanguage anyway. Sometimes at the table we taught them Phrase´s like This is a fork. And ask them Where is the fork. And so on. We also taught them animalnames,colours and numbers. I bought two CD-ROM games. Nalles engelska ordjakt(not to good) and Levande böckers lär dig engelska.(great)

We moved to England nine month ago and I think that it was a little bit easier for them to listen to english when they knew some already. They talk and understood english very quick. We are not speaking english with our children because our english isn´t as good as a real englishman´s. We do speak english if they are playing with english children.

We think that the best way to learn english is from someone who can speak good english. But I think it is better to speak some english to your children then not even if you´r not perfect.

Something that really upset me here in England is the way that a lot of parents are treating their children but that is another story.

In what way...

Skrivet av  Widder
... are they treating their children, that you get upset about?

test

Skrivet av  Ma-mia
I have failed to send my respons

just my opinion

Skrivet av  ma-mia
Hi
I have tried to send a respond twice and failed so I hope that this will make it to the end.

I have tried to develop my way of raising children and is know in a very pleasant situation where I, my husband and my children have equal respect for eachother and others. Therefor I have some difficulties to see parents shout, threat and smack their children. I have talk to alot of parents and they say that the children become stronger, obedient and independent because of this treatment. I have hard time beliving this. I think that parents are doing this because they are powerless and don´t know what to do. I don´t think that this kind of treatment makes respectful and kind people. This is my opinion. I also think that the schooluniforms is part of this power that adults want to have over children. If a child do something naughty, as they say, they have to sit in the corridor facing the wall until the headmaster has time to deal with them. Ofcourse the parents will be notified so that they can give the child punishment at home to. I am lucky to have two children that are wellbehaved because they love to learn but I am thinking about those who are not as fortune.

If you would like to know more please tell me.
Yours sincerely
Maria
I will give it another try