Sök på innehåll hos Allt för föraldrar

Swedish-Jamaican

Skrivet av Annika
Hi, I"m so pleased to find this chatboard. I"m Swedish-Jamaican married to a Jamaican(-British) and our daughter is 13 months old. I have been talking mostly Swedish to her but when I introduce new words to her or she points at something I try to give her both the English and Swedish equivalents. Everything else she hears is English, (Jamaican English and Jamaican dialect (creole, not a pidgin English)). She responds to both languages. I don"t know if she knows there"s a difference. I didn"t when I was little. I was raised in England by a Swedish mother and Jamaican father. I spoke "Swenglish", according to the diary my mother kept. My parents understood me. But when I started nursery school the others couldn"t understand me. I didn"t have a problem with that but the doctor"s advice to my mother was to stick to one language until I had learnt it, and since we were in England at the time, that language was English. So she changed her approach. When we moved to Sweden, I was 7 and an English-speaker. Within 6 weeks I was speaking ONLY Swedish, although I still understood English. I refused to speak English until my father arrived months later, when I started speaking it when talking to him.
We"ll be visiting Sweden this summer (Norrtalje and Stockholm). Would like to meet a family in similar situation. Are there any Swedish-Jamaican couples out there? Contact me at [email protected]
Svar på tråden: Swedish-Jamaican

Skrivet av  g
\<\;img src="http://www.orantic.se/rasmus/rasmus 7.jpg">

Artiklar från Familjeliv