Sök på innehåll hos Allt för föraldrar

Moving back to Sweden - help!

Skrivet av Leena in Northants, England
Hello all,

I"ve had enough of the UK and am going to drag my British husband and two children back to Sweden! Problem is I"ve been here for almost 13 years and it feels like moving to totally strange country. If there"s anybody out there who has been through the same and would like to share their experiences I would be so grateful. For example - what removal company did you use and was it horribly expensive, how did the children settle (ours are 5 and almost 2 and don"t speak much Swedish, nor does my husband), how do you go about Swedish language lessons, can you bring your right hand steered car to Sweden etc. Please help! I"ve been offered a job as a radiographer back home (haven"t worked as such since 1988 as Swedish qualifications are not accepted over here!) but my husband hasn"t got anything yet. But I don"t think it will be much of a problem as he"s in IT.
Did you feel terribly responsible for your family"s happiness after moving? I have a feeling I will be, it"s not that my husband is against it but I"m definitely the initiative taker - I just know I have to go home and raise my children in Sweden because I don"t think the UK is very child friendly. Coming from a small town with beautiful, acessible nature around the corner I"ll never get used to this country with litter everywhere, no cycling paths, fear of letting your children out of your sight etc. The list goes on and on. Hopefully we"ll go this summer when school finishes!

Thanks in advance,
Leena
Svar på tråden: Moving back to Sweden - help!

I moved back after 15 years in London.

Skrivet av  helenet
I was single, which made it both easier and harder probably.
I left Sweden, malmö in 1980 and came back to Stockholm in 1995.
I obviously have no experience of feeling s of responsibility towards the rest of my family but can understand that that may easily happen.
I had strong friendships here and was lucky to make friends with two other girls who had made similar moves.
I must admit it has been very hard moving back.
First of all, Sweden is very different from what it was when I left. Society is not the smoothrunning machine I remembered it to be. Kids do not have as a secure environment as they had when I grew up in 60-70"s, or even 80"s.
Secondly, it was impossible to orsee the extent to which my identity had become anglosized. I felt different from people around me and often in a an abstract way. This has smoothed out with time and new experiences gained here but was difficult to define and accept. So be prepared for alienation and strange emptiness. it is normal.
On the whole though I made the right decision, I followed my gut instinct which similar to what you are saying told me that the UK is not a place to raise kids, grow old etc.
I still have a flat in London . I am seldom there but feel it almost impossible to cut my ties completely. Will always have two identities, one Swedish an d one british.
A cheap and friendly removalfirm is: R K Neill, Kilmington, Warminster. tel 01985 844 112.
I have not used them myself, but a friend has and said they were good.
Good luck!

Artiklar från Familjeliv