Sök på innehåll hos Allt för föraldrar

Happy bringing up kids in England!

Skrivet av CM
Seeing how many people on the list feel that England isn"t a good place (compared to Sweden) to bring up kids, I feel I have to say that I think it"s great! I think there"s much less pressure here to do things a certain way and personally I enjoy a much higher standard of living here than I ever would in Sweden. (though I do recognise that this puts me in a priviliged position in terms of the kids" schooling etc.) After all, what does it matter to me what other people"s kids have for breakfast, as long as I don"t have to feed mine the same? Or whether other people"s babies are breast or bottle fed? What does matter to me is having the choice, and often in Sweden I don"t feel that I do, at least not without attracting "well-meaning" comments from people about what I should be doing...
Svar på tråden: Happy bringing up kids in England!

Big brother...

Skrivet av  Kajsa
...is a well known fact in Sweden, I agree. But, when living in such a close Catholic family as I did it was a lot worse than a "big brother". My mother-in-law was God and the way she brought up her four kids was the way to do it.
I am quite sure that this is not only a British phenomena but universal although it seemed to be stronger in Liverpool than anywhere I"ve been in Sweden...
The are perhaps fewer choices in Sweden but the general standard is far higher than most other European countries, I think. I can also see that if you are well off economically in England you can live a very good life, both children and adults.

I agree!

Skrivet av  Leena
Yes, you do have more choice here - if you have money. There are great schools - mostly private or grant funded in catchment areas where houses tend to be on the expensive side. Or schools with entrance interviews so they can exclude the less desirable. Talking about two tier system! Everything depends on which school you go to.
Of course you don"t have to give your children crisps for breakfast but when they get to an age where it"s important to do like their friends do, they might refuse anything else! Have you any experience of child care here? Apart from being pretty unaffordable unless you are on a high income, you don"t have much say re. the children"s diet. Especially child minders who tend to feed them out of packets and tins. And fizzy drinks with everything. OK, I could say I don"t want my child to have that but do you think a 5 year old would accept a glass of milk when the others are having coke?
It obviously depends on where you live and I presume you live somewhere really nice. Maybe you haven"t experienced the poorer areas of Britain? It can be quite grim. Is your partner Swedish or British? If he"s Swedish that makes it a whole lot different too, as you can have a "mini Sweden" at home (language, values, traditions etc). And no British in laws!
The distance between Sweden and the UK might not be great geographically but otherwise I think it"s very different.
I think it"s great you enjoy living here, I don"t and want to show my family what a lovely, beautiful country Sweden is. Where you are free to walk where you want, people care about the environment, you can send your children out to play, you can cycle on safe paths, where Sundays are spent in the fresh air and not in a shopping centre. I used to think Sweden was boring but now I have experienced the hectic way of life here I can"t wait to get back - once a small town girl always a small town girl I suppose!

childcare etc.

Skrivet av  CM
We (my partner is British)live in Sheffield, which is comparatively poor, so I do know what it can be like here without money. But of course the fact that we are both well paid perhaps puts us in an even better position up here where costs are lower... My experience of childcare (I have a 6-month-old at nursery here) is very good, and my nursery are very co-operative regarding food. Certainly no fizzy drinks or similar... But I do see your point in that when it comes to packing lunch boxes for school, I worry that my son won"t be v. happy with his compared to those of his friends :-). And of course there are many things I miss about Sweden, having only my partner"s family around me does make things tricky at times. I guess it"s a matter of weighing up pros and cons and in my case, the outcome is in England"s favour. But it"s not for everyone, definitely. Where do you live?

It"s very interesting...

Skrivet av  anette
I don"t know anyone who"s in my situation, and it"s really good to hear about all your different experiences. I"m sorry for those of you who"s moved back, and are now finding it a bit difficult, mainly, I understand, due to your partners not being able to find a job. I think that"s the trickiest bit, when your partner doesn"t feel apart of life over here and it was certainly my main worry, but I remember when I first moved to England and how long it took for me to feel settled and have some sort of social life etc. I think the saving grace for my husband, is partly the fact that he"s found some english friends over here (they are all working; IT, bartending and driving postal vans).
I know what you"re saying about living the bigger cities in Sweden. My husband works in Malmö, but I would not like to live there, not that we could afford the inner city"s house prices anyway, but a small village is a lovely way of life!
I also think you"re right Kajsa, when you say people over here don"t apreciate what they"ve got in Sweden and taking so much for granted, wich we don"t, having lived abroad...

Artiklar från Familjeliv