Sök på innehåll hos Allt för föraldrar

Bråttom!! Eng-fråga om punktering i uppräkningar

Skrivet av Flugan
Hej språkkunniga vänner!

Vet någon om man ska använda punkt, eller låta bli, när man gör en listning på engelska. Alltså, tex

Today the main focus is on
-system design
-SW design & implementation

osv.

Min maggropskänsla säger att man ska vara utan punkt i dylika uppräkningar, medan chefen tycker att man ska sätta punkt. Finns det någon regel??? Hittar inget på nätet o har alla grammatikböcker hemma.
Svar på tråden: Bråttom!! Eng-fråga om punktering i uppräkningar

En regel...

Skrivet av  Helena
... om än inte bergfast är att sätta punkt om meningen avslutas iom frasen i punktlistan. I ditt exempel kan man alltså ha punkt.

Sen är min erfarenhet att man är betydligt frikostigare med punkter i engelskspråkiga texter, i alla fall med ursprung i USA, så du kan nog motivera båda sätten i det här fallet.

Tack för ditt svar! Hittade även regel!

Skrivet av  Flugan
Jag beslutade mig för låta chefen få rätt;-) På Internet hittade jag nämligen detta, som lät riktigt vettigt:

http://www.ossweb.com/article-bullets.html

When do I use periods and when do I leave bulleted items without end punctuation?

RULE: Use periods after independent clauses, dependent clauses, or long phrases that are displayed on separate lines in a list. Example:

In this project, the equipment shall consist of:

Three horizontal centrifugal pumps with design temperature of 100 degrees F.
Three electric motors, in accordance with Appendices II and IIA.
Three steel base frames.

RULE: Use periods after short phrases that are essential to the grammatical completeness of the statement introducing the list. Example:

There are a number of tags used in HTML, including:

Image tags.
Background tags.
Paragraph tags.

RULE: It\'s not necessary to use periods after short phrases or single words in a list, if the introductory statement is grammatically complete (see below) or if the listed items are like those on an inventory sheet or a shopping list. Example:

The software in this price range offers many excellent features:

Windows 9x and up
Audio pronunciations
Rebate
Tutorial

RULE: When one item contains a complete sentence, punctuate all bulleted items as though they were complete sentences: capitalize the beginning words and use a period at the end of each item. Example:
You will not be accepted if you have been diagnosed with:

Arthritis.
High blood pressure.
Asthma or some allergies. Please list your allergies and give date of last flare-up.

RECOMMENDATION: If you\'re creating a long document full of bulleted items, you may choose to be consistent and end each item with a period.