Sök på innehåll hos Allt för föraldrar

long answer

Skrivet av Steph
Do you consistently speak English with her and around her? No Swedish at all? That is important, she needs a consistent context such as a person or a place (i.e. the home) where English is used. I know that some children use their dominant language (Swedish here) while understanding both, and others use both depending on who they are talking to.
Persist in speaking English to her. You might try not giving her things if she asks in Swedish, until she repeats the request in English.
She is not old enough yet to understand that she is operating in 2 different languages, even though one of them is only hearing so far. At least old enough to show that she understands it. That usually comes around 2-4 yrs old.
Try to find other English speakers in your area and have get-togethers...play groups or fika or whatever, to increase the context where she hears and must speak English. This may help esp. if she learns that these people do not "understand" her Swedish, and in order to communicate she must use English. Hopefully, she will then connect these people also with English and will always use it when talking to them.
Other ideas: Get some CD\'s and sing songs with her in English, make it into a ritual...every evening before bed or something. Read to her English, especially point and ask books like Scarry, and ask her "what\'s that?" "what color is..." etc. Prompt English answers.
I don\'t know what else to tell you other than there is nothing unusual in that she uses Swedish rather than English. It is her dominant language and the lang. of her environment. I think that as she gets older and more aware of the two languages as being separate (which she already does really, since it doesn\'t sound like she is mixing them), she will start to speak more English. I studied linguistics in college so I am better at the linguistic aspects of this problem but have only just started to put it into practice (my little girl is 3 months) so I hope you get some practical advice from other parents here too! I am also interested in other people\'s experiences!

« Tillbaka till trådstarten

Artiklar från Familjeliv