Sök på innehåll hos Allt för föraldrar

To move back or not to...

Skrivet av linda, Sydney, Australia
Hi! I am swedish, living in Sydney, Australia, with my australian husband and one year old son. We have lived here for appr. four years now. Sydney is a beautiful place to live in, but I miss Sweden. My husband might have an oppurunity to be transferred to Sweden through work and I am sooo tempted, but I don"t want us to make the wrong decision - having to go through another stressful AND expensive move and things not working out would just be too much! Does anyone have any thoughts on this, pros and cons?
Svar på tråden: To move back or not to...

what are the main...

Skrivet av  CM
...things that you miss about Sweden? i mean, your family and friends is obvious, but as you"re trying to weigh up for and against it would be interesting to know what other aspects you feel are on the plus side for sweden (especially since i"ve never been to australia myself).

Do you find it

Skrivet av  Helena
impossible to live in Australia?? The main reason we moved from England was because I missed my family so much and couldnt stand the thought of living in England and raising my children there.
Australia is beautiful (spent a year there) but to me its too far away from home. But if you like it and feel that its Ok living there I think you really have to think about it hard. Because as you said, its expensive and stressful to move to another country

yes, and another thing...

Skrivet av  CM
...is that it is so easy to forget the thing you don"t like about a place when you haven"t been for a while. personally i"m happy to stay in england, but then i have the privilige to go back to sweden regularly and although i enjoy that, the comparison is in england"s favour every time. but you presumably don"t have that luxury!

i meant "things", not "thing" :-) IMT

Skrivet av  CM

Difficult, difficult...

Skrivet av  
There are so many things that are positive about Australia. People are more relaxed here, not so uptight about things. There is less of a TV-culture, maybe because the weather allows for outdoor activities. Somehow it is easier to be oneself here, difficult to explain why. People aren"t "boxed" into "identity groups" here, if you know what I mean? I love the weather, the food, the beaches. (I hope I haven"t offended anyone, sorry) I miss alot about Sweden though, my family, traditions, lighting a candle when dark and cold outside, not having to think what word I can use and the spelling, I miss the feeling of security that comes with having grown up in a country, you know how the system works, you know the laws, how to go about doing things etc.I haven"t been home for about four years now, maybe I need a "Sweden injection" like you suggested Helena.

I forgot to "sign" difficult difficult

Skrivet av  Linda, Sydney
Thanks CM and Helena for responses, you got me thinking!

Artiklar från Familjeliv