Sök på innehåll hos Allt för föraldrar

Hello,

Skrivet av anette
everybody. I haven"t been on for a while. My "hard" weekend got worse on sunday nigt, when first Maja was sick in our bed and roughly ten minutes later Oscar was sick all over his bed. I changed bedding three times, my own clothes twice (Oscar"s too little to go in a bucket) and the kids clothes several times. And we just had to stay up until they"de stopped. Not much sleep, and then we all stayed at home on Monday, I had a big deadline to meet for Wednesday, we had three people coming to visit from England on Tuesday, two of whom I"de never met before and then I got the tummy bug last night! It"s almost funny...
Leena, I had a quick look at parents.co.uk, and I thought, as you, that it wasn"t as good as this site, there seem to be more direct contact here, but maybe I"m being unfair, I was only in there the ones.
Oscar is wearing a pink(!) t-shirt today, Maja"s old one of course, but it looks alright!
I know Kappahl here, f.ex. have had a lot of critics for their too sexy, children"s clothes for girls, it would never be for boys, would it? It really annoys me. (But that"s a whole BIG issue of it"s own.)
It is a shame about the expencive childcare in England, and I think you"re very lucky, CM too have a good nursery with high standards, but there"s all the other ones, single mums especially, whom I seem to remember the government being highly concerned about and why the unemployment rate was so high amongst them! Dear me...
We have a "dagmamma" her and she"s lovely and it works really well, but I have of course heard of nurserys, where there"s too little staff to number of kids, but most people I know over here are happy with their day care.
I did, in England for a short while, have a childminder but she was a bit so-so, if you see what I mean, and didn"t do half the things our dagmamma does over here, in structured activites etc. And it was too expencive! About £400 a month... Oscar definetely want"s me to get off the computer now!
Buy for now...
Svar på tråden: Hello,

Havent been ...

Skrivet av  Helena
here for a while either. Oscar is a nice name Anette. We are in the process of finding names at the moment and Oscar has been on top of the list actually. We find it a bit harder with girlnames. Any good ones anyone? I cant belive Im already 17 weeks pregnant.
Now a little question on what to do in the future.
Ive discovered that swedish telly is quite liberated with the language and especially the english.
Now my son still doesnt speak but its not far away and its starting to bother me that so many TV adverts are using plenty of swearwords in english. The word f_ck is widely used in this country and tonight watching ZTV there was an advert by "Din sko" (shoecompany) using this little cartoonkid abusing a thug with words like p_ss off...scumbag etc. Im just wondering on how do you explain to your child that these words cannot under any circumstances be used and especially not when visiting grandma in England. Shall I accept these words being shown early hours on the telly?? Is it Ok that a swedish film gets the name F_cking Åmål?? only because the swearwords are in english?? I dont know....

I"de forgotten...

Skrivet av  anette
you were pregnant, it must be so nice!
Oscar is a lovely name and his second name is Henning, wich I love, but my parents absolutely hated...
(I think Philiy is a sweet girls name, by the way!)
It"s reasonably difficult with english/swedish names, I know there were alot of names we had to give a miss, because they sounded too silly in one or the other language.
About the telly, I agree. My husband can"t believe how freely some words are used here, but a swear word in another language (in these cases; english in Sweden), never sound as bad as they would in their own country.
And also, I miss the "watershed" in England. I feel, they"ll show anything here at any time of day. I really wish all the different digital and satellite networks would have to cohear to the watershed too... What to do meanwhile, I don"t know... I do tell Maja if there is anything I don"t agree with, like Zourge, in Buzz Lightyear video, electricuting little green martians f.ex! It is "naughty"...

swearing in a...

Skrivet av  CM
...different language to your own never feels quite so bad, though, does it? i am quite liberal with rude (even crude) words here (rustan is too little to know yet - i guess i"ll have to change my ways) but if i had to say the same things in swedish i would be mortified!

perhaps swedish telly is liberal about these things partly because of a liberal attitude in general but also because people don"t feel so offended by english swearwords? (your case is different of course).

eugh...

Skrivet av  CM
...sounds awful! i"m glad you can laugh (almost?) at it though.

yes, i"m one of the lucky ones, definitely. not only because i can afford a good nursery but because i FOUND one, which took some doing and involves a bit of driving... supposedly grandparents and other relatives make up the largest proportion of childcare here in england. to me that"s nothing short of scandalous :-). not that it isn"t great for the ones who can arrange it that way, i"m sure it is really nice for all involved if they enjoy it and it works out. but for the rest of us? it lets the government off the hook nicely - letting families sort the childcare issue out themselves for no money. and there is a real problem (at least up here) in that there aren"t enough childminders yet it"s (to my mind) too easy to set up as a childminders and all the ones i visited before finding the nursery fell far short of my expectations...
anyway, that"s my little speech done. hope you are all keeping well and not freeeeezing.

You"re probably...

Skrivet av  anette
right about it being too easy to set up as a childminder in England. I think that came close to the feeling I had, when looking in to childcare "over there". The nurserys I got in contact with sounded good, but in the end we had to go with the childminder because it was cheaper (I was going back to education, again...) And that felt horrible since your children (or child in this case) is the most important and precious thing in your life! At one point, when I had a ridicules workload on, my sweet,sweet neighbour lady looked after Maja three hours/day and that was really good. (Somehow, I don"t feel that sort of thing would be done here in Sweden.)
CM, where in England do you live? For some reason I got it into my head you lived in the south, somewhere.
By the way, all our three guests got the tummy bug, aswell...
Best friday wishes,

I live in the north, in Sheffield! IMT

Skrivet av  CM

Hi !

Skrivet av  Anna
It´s lovely to see that this site is being visited again. I had almost given up hope. Anyway I moved to Sweden with my English husband in 1999, we had a daughter in october 99 we had the same problem choosing a name but we finally settled on Ella which we thought sounded good in both languages. Since we´re both studying we only pay about 200 kr/month for dagis/förskola. Ella really loves it there. My husband has really settled into swedish life I´m finding it a bit harder to adjust! We had the tummybug as well. I was sick in bed most of my sportlov and Ella couldn´t go to dagis.

Hello!

Skrivet av  Helena
Nice to see more people writing here. Were in Sweden do you and your husband live??
Interesting to see that you are both studying. Does your husband get any benefits here for that??
With us its the other way around. My husband finds it hard to adjust to the swedish lifestyle. I think that its probably that he is missing a lot of his friends from England. He prefers us to live here but its really hard for him at the same time.
Hope youre better from the tummybug anyway.

Artiklar från Familjeliv