Sök på innehåll hos Allt för föraldrar

video exchange?

Skrivet av CM
might there be anyone out there who would be interested in exchanging recordings of swedish and english TV programs? i know that with cable and satellite, there might be little need for this, but as i don"t have either, i thought i"d suggest it anyway. after all, you only get certain channels on satellite, anyway.

what i had in mind was an arrangement where i would record, say one video tape a month with english TV for someone in sweden, who would do the same for me with swedish TV. we could give each other a rough idea of what sorts of things we might like to see, and then leave it up to the other to decide when it"s convenient to tape something (but perhaps give feedback, to guide each other in the right direction). perhaps we wouldn"t need to do it as often as once a month either, if that"s too big a committment...

obviously, as we don"t know each other there is always a "risk" that it doesn"t work out, but the most either of us would risk i guess would be one tape - if the other doesn"t fulfil their side of the agreement, i mean.

what do you guys think?
Svar på tråden: video exchange?

YES!

Skrivet av  anette
I would love to! One thing I miss the most (sad, really) is English tele, BBC 1 & 2, Channel four etc.
Even though we got BBC Prime it doesn"t quite cut the mustard with too many old repeats; To the manor born, Yes Minister and so on... What would you like from Swedish tele!
Helena, Maja is 3 and two months and Oscar is 21 months. I did have both of them at The Rosy Maternity in Cambridge (Addenbrooks) and both experiences were great! (Well, as great as it can be...) I had an epidural both times (I wasn"t going to have one the second time, but I just couldn"t cope with the gas and air. Paul, however thought it was great!) But the epidurals I had was brilliant, it didn"t completely numb me, just enough to feel the contractions. All in all, the NHS care was good from start to finish, or was I just lucky? I"ve also heard horror stories, swedish and english. The after care was also really good, especially with the first child, Midwife coming every day for five days, and then the health visitor, I can"t remember for how long, but I remember thinking; this is great...
What was your experience like, here in Sweden? And has anyone else a different (or same) experience from giving birth in England?
Ah yes, very funny, the sedative my mother-in-law suggested was for Oscar, but I"m certainly the one who would need it! But don"t you all feel it"s a little bit drastic giving a sedative to a toddler? I"de rather not go...

great,

Skrivet av  CM
a positive response already! as for what i"d like to see from swedish tv, i"m not sure as i never really know what"s on... but i imagine i would like anything that"s swedish produced, i like satirical comedy, documentaries, political debates, that sort of thing...at least at the moment i think i would pretty easy to please, because I"m STARVED of swedish tv :-).

what sort of things would you like from here? you could always mail me on [email protected] if you want to talk more about it (you can write in swedish, of course).

as for labour experiences, i find it VERY interesting to hear what you describe. i had my son in chesterfield in august this year, and i have to admit that in my wildest imagination i couldn"t have thought of anything worse.

i had quite a long labour, as my son was facing the wrong way, and had just about every form of pain relief going (even pethidine which i had decided not to have). the hospital was overcrowded and understaffed, i felt i had no support at all other than perhaps in the very late stages of labour and delivery, there were parents, babies and visitors everywhere and not a single quiet moment day or night.

having been told off for about the zillionth time about some "rule" i had broken, like daring to take my baby out of his plastic cot and carry him around ("we don"t do that here" - no explanation, nothing) or wipe his bottom with a baby wipe: "while you are in this hospital you use cotton wool" or failing to chuck out the visitors i didn"t want anyway or leaving the wrong door open or whatever, i discharged myself after 24 hours. needless to say i was far from ready to go home, having no family of my own here and not wanting concerned in-laws around the house at all hours.

so all in all, the first month or so of my sons life was a pretty miserable time :-). but i"m GLAD to hear you had a different experience. i wonder why these differences are?

I dont know

Skrivet av  Helena
if I could commit myself to that to be honest. I seem to watch less and less telly now. But I do miss the english telly I must say. But maybe Adam would like me to do such a thing. Have to have a word with him.

I think that were ever you go in the world you will have hospitals that you dont find to be too good. But I also think its the timing and how you experience things as a person that matters. Oliver was born in August and because I had been in and out of hospital the last two months of the pregnancy I had no problems getting back in when the time had come. But otherwise summertime is really bad here in Stockholm when it comes to giving birth. All the hospitals are full. Adam suggested that it might be because swedes has got nothing better to do in the dark wintermonths than making babies....
Regarding sedative for your Oscar Anette. Can you actually get it over the counter here?? If not do you reckon a doctor would actually prescribe it for flying.? Personally I dont belive drugs should be used unless really necessary.
Time for an early night. Cant even think straight at the moment.

Are you...

Skrivet av  anette
at that stage of early pregnancy now, where you feel really tired and dizzy headed? When would you be due?
I can"t help but feeling I really want another one, but Paul doesn"t. It"s just babies, are so sweet, and children are so lovely. I didn"t use to feel like this until I had my first one!
Would you consider a second one, CM? And it"s also very intresting to hear that our birth experiences are so different, and I also wonder why. Was I really that lucky?
As for the sedative, no, I don"t feel I would like to give any of my children a sedative, just for the sake of a journey! It"s not like we HAVE to go, we could go next year f.ex. when the kids are a year older. And it"s not like the children don"t see their english relatives, we got visitors just about every eight weeks! And it"s easier for them to travel as single people...
Anyway, the weekend starts here, and my parents have promised to take the kids Sat-Sun as we got about one million things to do in the house!

I actually

Skrivet av  Helena
feel very good this time aroung. Not tired not sick, I hardly feel pregnant but sometimes that worries me.
The Londontrip might be cancelled. Every time we are ment to go its always such a hassle to Adams family. We go to the wrong airport, they havent got the room for us etc. Im so sick of it that now I actually dont feel like going. We dont feel welcome anymore. Its terrible for Adam, hes quite down at the moment.
I dont know what to do. Most of all I would like to ring my mother in law up and have a go at her but it would only make matters worse. I still belive they are upset with me for demanding a smokefree house when we are over(normally his mother smokes inside). They got very angry about that the last time we were there.
Phu.. I need to have a go at someone I think. But right now Oliver is demanding my attention, got to go

I"m sorry...

Skrivet av  anette
that sounds absolutely crap! I"m not surprised Adam feels down about this. Especially I think, when you got children, their grand children, you would expect them (or would want them) to be a little more enthusiastic! And surely it"s not such a big deal, smoking outside for a few days or a week or what ever?
What"s the reason for going? Is the main reason for Oliver to see his grandparents, or for you and Adam to see your friends? At any rate I think it would be their loss, not to partake in the growing up of a grandchild...
We unfortunately, got the problem the other way around!
Both Paul"s parents are single and Paul"s mum especially is over VERY often. She"s even talking about finding a little house in our village, and this is ofcourse of great concern, it would be unbareable!
I love her to bits, but can you imagine? She wouldn"t have any one but us to rely on, and we"ve got enough on, as it is!
I"m glad you feel well, my pregnancies were very different from one and other, I gained 30kg the last time!
Best Sunday wishes...

i doubt that i"ll...

Skrivet av  CM
...consider a second one, but it would be unfair to say that was all because of the hospital ;-). but then again, i don"t know how i would have felt if things had been different there. mainly, it is because of us both working so much and not exactly being spring chickens anymore - as much as we enjoy our darling baby, i don"t think we"d like to start again just as the baby period is ending... but never say never - sometimes it"s just not within ones control! how about the rest of you, are you satisfied with your lot or planning more?

i think helena has a point in saying the summer is worse - when i went to my antenatal classes at the hospital in the spring it was lovely and peaceful, and many people have told me how fantastic they found that particular hospital. so i think stan just picked a silly time to arrive. i guess it"s not just the swedes who have nothing better to do in the winter months!

I certainley...

Skrivet av  anette
felt I didn"t want the "baby period" to be too extended, we"re not exactly spring chickens either and as much as I love having children I"m very committed to my career and it"s very difficult to do both (especially when they"re very young) and that"s the main reason we had our two very close.
But every now and again, especially when hearing about others falling pregnant, I can"t help but feel a bit sad that our "baby days" are almost gone and will probably never come again. But as you say, you can never say never, really...

Exhausted

Skrivet av  Helena
is how I feel right now but I havent done too much. But I guess that being pregnant I have to slow down sometimes.
To answer your question Anette on why we go to London. I go so that Oliver can visit his grandparents and family over there(he has also got a cousin who is 2 months younger). Adam sees a lot of his friends when he is over but I never seem to have the strenght to run around. Its exhausting just going there. Have you been back since you left?
We seem to have sorted the problem with his family but...well I will leave it at that I think.
I might start working part time. Ive been talking to this woman(english) who runs a cateringfirm. I might do a few hours for her every week because I can do 90% of the job from home.
But it feels weird. Did you guys go back to work early?? What is it like?? I wonder if its possible to work from home with a 7 months old baby around.
Its now actually tellytime for me. Wednesday is telly night.

I"m ashamed...

Skrivet av  anette
to say I haven"t been back ones! It all seems too much to me to travel with both the kids at such a young age.
But, I miss my friends and I really miss Cambridge, so hopefully I can gather enough strength, or go on my own I suppose, sometimes soon.
As for working from home, which is what I do, I think it"s got lots of advantages, with small children. It was a bit tricky I remember, when I had Oscar, I was in the middle of a book project and I had two days "off" after giving birth! Then I used to work til four a"clock in the morning when everybody was asleep and I used to breast feed and work at the same time. Thinking back, I can"t believe we managed! Now, they"re in daycare it"s heavenly blizz...
I"m glad it"s sorted with your family in England, it is important!

Artiklar från Familjeliv