Sök på innehåll hos Allt för föraldrar

To call Grandparents names!

Skrivet av Therese
Maybe someone could help me. My husband and I have had a long talk about what to call his parents.We live in Sweden and I think we should use the names Farmor& Farfar whenever we talk about them in swedish. And then then use the english Gran& Granpa whenever we speak english with them.My husband do not have the same opinion and think we should say gran& grandpa the whole time, because that he thinks is their names.I have tried to understand his point of view, and I think he is afraid that the kids will say the swedish names to their faces. And I also know that his mum would not be pleased if it happend.
What I think is a shame is that the kids will not have a swedish word for their grandparents, and when asked by friends "who is Gran" not being abel to connect the two words.I know that it can be explained to them a bit later in life but surely it whould be a naturell way of doing it, to start for the beginning?
Anyway, I don\'t know if this make any sense to anyone, it\'s late and I\'m very tired.But if you could give me a hint how you did, I be very plesaed.

Thanks!

Svar på tråden: To call Grandparents names!

Could you explain?

Skrivet av  Kerstin
Why would your mother-in-law be offended by being called "Farmor"? And why not call her Grandma"name" like "our" Grandma is GrannyM***

I think it is quite common in englishspeaking countries as they have two grandmums? And in denmark, as they have the same thing there. (Bedstemor)

I don\'t think the kids will be confused about this if you and your husband agrees on what to call them. The problem as I see it, is that you don\'t agree.

To be perfectly honest, I am not sure what it is about. Is it a problem for him or the grandparents to be called the swedish for grandma and grandpa? They do know their grandchildren are bilingual, don\'t they? The kids will soon understand what word they should use and in which situation, I think.

Talk to their father and agree on a word before introducing it to the child?

Våra barn

Skrivet av  Anna
kallar brittiska farmor och farfar just "farmor" och "farfar" på svenska. Först gillade de inte det, men det tog bara nån vecka för dem att vänja sig...och nu säger de själva "farmor" och "farfar". Det är ju inte speciellt svåra ord att uttala, och även om barnen är tvåspråkiga så tror jag det är bättre att ha bara ett namn för dem...och eftersom vi bor i Sverige så får det bli på svenska så att omgivningen förstår! :) Lycka till!

Thanks!

Skrivet av  Therese
Anna and Kerstin for yuor answers. I think my husband and I have to have another talk about it.

Additional help needed here!

Skrivet av  Stephanie
Good question Therese, I didnät think about bringing that up here. We have a similar problem, not that my husband and I don\'t agree but simply what to call my parents. I tried out Nana on my mom but she actually preferred Momo (from Mormor). But for my dad, Mofa sounds a bit too much like mofo...hmm. (We live in Skåne so the r in mormor and morfar just doesn\'t transfer to English!) I don\'t like to use Grandma and Grandpa because that still sounds like my grandparents, and "grandma" kinda has a negative connotation there. Granny I think sounds really old. I use Papa and Gigi for my maternal grandparents but again don\'t want to use that. Papa just gets super confusing for a Swede anyway!
Any ideas??

Grandad?

Skrivet av  bani
Granda?

Toughie, that. I think one has to start with "getting over" the fact that these "old people" words are being used on people that aren\'t so old... Otherwise, what is your father\'s spontaneous name for himself? "Here darling, come to ???!" ? It often just comes, y\'know? lol!

Yes

Skrivet av  Stephanie
That\'s what I\'m hoping. My dad hasn\'t met her yet but will at Christmas. When I asked him what he wanted to be called he said, Boss. haha.

boss is good! lol! *imt*

Skrivet av  bani
r

Grammie

Skrivet av  MammaMB
I am from South Carolina and live in Sweden. My kids call my mother Grammie, and her mother Great Bea, and my fathers mother Great Grandma Lillie. My husbands Swedish parents are not living now and my children have never met them. They do however call my brother Morbror or Unc. They call my sisters aunts.

How about nan &pop

Skrivet av  Cina QLD AU
x

men pop låter ju

Skrivet av  Anna
så himla töntigt på svenska.. :) Nan är ganska fint! men man måste ju säga det som faller en naturligt, själv skulle jag nog inte kunna ändra på att säga något annat än just farmor/morfar faktiskt. För mig så HETER de ju så.

have to agree

Skrivet av  Stephanie
with Cina. Nan is nice but Pop sounds...disrespectful and old-fashioned somehow. And that\'s what we call soda in the western US!

I don\'t see the problem

Skrivet av  MamaMu
I see it just the other way around. By calling all grandparents what they are called in their own mother tounge, you avoid the problem of trying to figure out _which_ Gran you\'re talking about. (Because with your way, when you\'re in his country, or whenever you speak english, your parents would then be called Gran and Granpa.)

My fiancé is from Germany, and we call his mother Oma all the time, and my parents mormor and morfar all the time. What other prople do or do not understand doesn\'t concern me so much, they\'ll ask and learn if enterested. Besides, my son quickly learnt that Oma is the same as farmor. And also, he thinks having an Oma is very special. "None of my friends have an Oma, just me" he says, looking very smug:)

Så gör vi oxå.

Skrivet av  Selma
We call my husbands parents "lela" and "tata", they are from CHile, and my mother is mormor. Wyh make it more complicated?

Artiklar från Familjeliv